Today we are talking about growing orchids together with other house plants in the same pot.. and all the things associated with it!
▼▼▼More info below!▼▼▼
Orchid collectors ad enthusiasts mostly grow orchids potted separate, each one in its own pot. Here are the reasons why we prefer this:
1. Growing media, most house plants are terrestrial, but Orchids we can grow at home are mainly epiphytes. Learn more here
2. Watering, it will be difficult to maintain both orchids and the terrestrial plants at the ideal level of moisture.
3. Fertilizing, generally Orchids don’t need too much fertilizer, while most other house plants do.
4. Other culture requirements such as temperature, light and humidity might be incompatible.
5. Spreading pathogens will be very easy when we pot plants in the same pot.
5.1. Pests travel really quickly when plants are potted together.
6. Allelopathy, many plants fight for their space, a pot will not stop that
7. Limited space for root grow, one will dominate the other.
8. One can shade the other or hinders its development.
Plants that can grow with orchids: mosses, sphagnum moss, air plants and other small plants which have the same requirements. There aren’t very many though 🙂
Easier to Fade (feat. Madi Larson) by A Himitsu
Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported— CC BY 3.0
✿ Want to send me something? Here’s my address!
P.O. BOX 29002, CY-1620, Nicosia, Cyprus
✿ My environment:
Subtropical climate, hot summers and mild winters
60-90% humidity, always breezy
Growth space is kept at min 17C and max 29C
✿ What I use in my Grow Room:
LECA – Pokon or IKEA
Paph and Phrag Imperial Orchid Mix
Oncidium Imperial Orchid Mix
Sphagnum Moss – Spagmoss from Besgrow
Fertilizer and suppliments:
MSU Orchid fertilizer for osmosis / rain water
Orchid Focus Bloom (when I need something low in N)
Pots, containers, baskets:
DIY self watering pots and masks from local flower shops
Lechuza self watering pots
Decorative Tolumnia pots (affiliate link)
Wooden Vanda baskets
LED shop pannels from Leroy Merlin, 4000k
Tertial lamps from IKEA
Orvibo WiFi Smart Plugs
Shirley’s Simple Shelving
Lerberg and Mulig from IKEA
✿ See my video playlists!